ECSS offers various awards, some of which take place during the annual congress.
Young Investigators Award (YIA)
One of the key objectives of the ECSS is the promotion of young scientists and the fostering of state-of-the-art research. For this purpose, the ECSS established the Young Investigators Award (YIA). Since the inauguration of the ECSS and its first annual congress in Nice, France in 1996, the YIA is an integral part of the ECSS annual congress. Young scientists have the opportunity to enter this prestigious competition for scientific excellence, where outstanding scientific work can be presented at the annual congress. A jury consisting of the ECSS Scientific Board and ECSS Scientific Committee grants the awards based upon an oral and mini-oral presentation for the top ten presentations respectively.
Each year the ‘YIA Cocktail Event’ reunites all former YIA winners at the ECSS annual congress–an ECSS-based network, uniting generations of sport scientists. Today, many former YIA winners are still closely connected to the ECSS and even support the ECSS in its boards and committees. The award has functioned for previous YIA winners as the starting point of their scientific career.YIA applications that meet all requirements are welcome online, using the abstract submission process of the upcoming ECSS congress.
Gatorade Sport Science Institute (GSSI)
Nutrition Award Abstracts submitted in the area of sports nutrition in the presentation format of oral or poster may opt-in to apply for the GSSI Nutrition Award during the abstract submission process.
GSSI is the Official ECSS Sports Performance Hydration and Nutrition Platinum Partner. With this award, GSSI is promoting research in the field of sports nutrition and hydration.
- ECSS membership (paid by 1 February 2020)
- Paid congress registration fee (paid by 1 February 2020)
- There is no age limit and all scientists can compete for this award
- The research has relevance to sports nutrition and hydration
- The work is original and has not been published, or accepted for publication, at the time of the abstract submission deadline
- GSSI Nutrition Award winners are not eligible for the following year's competition
- Employees of GSSI are ineligible to enter the GSSI Nutrition Award
- Research that is directly funded by GSSI is not eligible for entry to the respective award
- In applying for GSSI Nutrition Award it is not possible to apply for the YIA award at the same time.
- Abstract quality
- The presentation (oral) has been carefully prepared, using appropriate and high-quality visual means and is well organized/structured
- High quality of oral presentation
- The background and rationale for the study is clearly described
- The methodology is well described, the statistical analysis appropriate and the data are solid
- The presenter justifies the conclusions based on the data and the relevant literature
- There is a clear take-home message at the end
- The work is advancing current knowledge.
All abstracts will be reviewed by two independent experts in the field to be nominated by the ECSS. A third reviewer will be an expert scientist in the field representing the sponsor.
- Abstracts submitted in the topic of nutrition in the presentation format of oral and poster may opt-in to apply for the Nutrition Award
- Out of all applications received, the top 5 will go to the final round
- The five finalists will present their work during the congress in the oral format in front of the award panel
- The panel will need to come to a mutual decision about the winners
- The winners will be awarded during the GSSI Award Ceremony. Attendance is mandatory for finalists.
- 1st Place: €3,000
- 2nd Place: €1,500
- 3rd Place: €500
European Journal of Sport Science (EJSS) Best Paper award
In line with ECSS’s mission to “disseminate high quality, innovative science, and its application”, this award will showcase the most innovative science published in EJSS to congress delegates and ECSS members. The best paper and all nominated papers will be free to access following the first announcement of the winner.
Eligibility for the award
Journal papers published in the calendar year prior to the congress are eligible for the award. For example, in 2019, papers will be considered from Volume 18 (the calendar year 2018).
Section Editors will nominate papers from their section published in the calendar year. An editorial team will review all nominations and select an overall winner.
- Open to all age groups and career levels
- Section Editors will nominate papers for consideration according to the following criteria:
- Originality: The paper is innovative and constructively engages with new or complex problems.
- Significance: The paper makes an important contribution to the advancement of knowledge in sport science.
- Methodological rigor: The paper uses robust and appropriate methods to address the research question.
- Potential impact: The paper has the potential to alter prevailing theory or practice in sport science.
- Early January 2020, Award Opens: Editor-in-Chief, Andrew Jones contacts Section Editors for their nominations.
- Late February 2020, Nominations: Editor-in-Chief reviews nominations and selects the best paper winner.
- Early March 2020, First Announcement: ECSS Office informs the winner and invites the winner to attend congress.
At the congress closing ceremony, the award will be officially announced and the winner will be called to the stage by the congress Chair. A cheque will be handed over by Editor-in-Chief, Andrew Jones, and ECSS President, Erich Müller.
- Congress registration fees will be waived for all nominees
- €1,000 (Euros) in prize money is granted for the winner of the award, cheque to be collected in person.
The EJSS Best Paper Award will be announced via the ECSS website, the congress website, the ECSS newsletters and social media.
Further information about the European Journal of Sport Science can be found here.
European Journal of Sport Science (EJSS) Active Reviewer Award
The EJSS Active Reviewer Award was set up to acknowledge and thank the reviewers of the European Journal of Sport Science, for the peer review work they do (free of charge) for the journal.
Eligibility for the award
Journal reviewers that have done the most work in the calendar year prior to the congress are eligible for the award. For example, in 2020, this will be the top ten reviewers who have reviewed the most papers in the 2019 calendar year.
Top ten reviewers are picked from the reviewers report.
Open to all age groups and career levels.
The award notification will be sent by the end of February of every year.
- One A4 ‘certificate of appreciation’ (PDF only)
- One free ECSS membership
The EJSS Most Active ReviewerAward will be announced via the EJSS website, during the congress and through ECSS newsletters and social media.